RS-232 Serial Cable
• four conductor, shielded, stranded, AWG 24 wire (Belden 9534 or a larger gauge)
• 50 feet maximum length (per RS-232 industry specification - greater lengths are not recommended)
RS-485 Network Cable
• two conductor, shielded, twisted pair, stranded, AWG 24 wire (Belden 9501 or a larger gauge)
• 16,000 feet total network length
• refer to the Network Wiring Application Note (P/N 01824-002) for specific network wiring information
Note: When wiring the RS-485 terminal block connector, be sure to use the smallest connector provided. TB1 is
smaller than the other terminal blocks and will only accept the smallest terminal block connector provided.
• two conductor, stranded, AWG 18 wire (Belden 8461 or a larger gauge)
• 200 foot maximum length for systems using an SB-293 with two readers
Note: On long power cable runs, the cable resistance causes a drop in voltage at the end of the cable run. Be sure your
power supply does provide 12 VDC at the end of the cable run.
• Single conductor, AWG 18 wire (or a larger gauge). Ground wire is green with or without yellow tracer.
Keri Systems Proximity Readers
• six conductor, shielded, stranded, AWG 24 wire (Belden 9536 or a larger gauge)
• four conductor, shielded, stranded, AWG 24 wire (Belden 9534 or a larger gauge) for the MS-4000 only (there is no
beeper or LED in the MS-4000)
Maximum Cable Lengths by Wire Gauge for Proximity Readers
Cable Length by Wire Gauge
Wiegand Compatible Readers
• four to seven conductor, shielded, stranded, wire – depending upon the Wiegand reader’s requirements
• a minimum gauge of AWG 24 is required for data transfer with a 500-foot maximum run length per Wiegand
Input and Output Connections
• two conductor, stranded, AWG 22 (or a larger gauge).
Note: The Lock Output relay may require a heavier gauge of wire depending upon the current demands of the lock and
the length of the lock wiring run.
Note: If plenum cable is required, please reference the Belden plenum equivalent to the cables listed above.